Following the acquisition of the former officers’ block of Cambridge Barracks and the Hilsea playing fields, the Victorian school was used for Science and Art. The school’s expansion under Headmaster Canon Walter Barton helped alleviate the shortage of secondary school places in the city.
The fruition of Barton’s ambitious plans encouraged a new pride in the school and a raising of expectations and academic attainment. At the same time, a wide range of clubs and societies, visits and cultural activities was introduced, broadening pupils’ horizons.
Barton suggested the introduction of a school uniform, an idea that was taken up by his successor Joe Stork in 1937. Standard black blazers and grey trousers replaced the motley outfit sported by most boys.
Staff list, 1930s, Headmasters Rev. W.J.Barton, J.W. Stork