Under Headmaster Donald Lindsay the war-damaged school was restored and improved and, amid post-war optimism, became a Direct Grant School remaining independent of the local authority and under the exclusive control of the its governors. By the end of the 1940s the school had over 600 pupils over the age of eleven. 

Staff list, 1940s Headmasters J.W. Stork and D.D. Lindsay

1950-59