In the summer of 1939 plans for the evacuation of the pupils were made by Headmaster Joe Stork and, on September 1st, a train steamed out of Portsmouth Town Station carrying the boys and staff to Winchester.

Following a brief spell at Northwood Park, the school was relocated to Bournemouth, where boarding houses and three buildings for teaching were acquired – Cliff House School, Broome Close and Colvin School. 

The school’s Second World War memorial in the Sixth Form library commemorates the 110 Old Portmuthians who died defending their country.