The Victorian grammar school was opened in 1879, replacing the original school in Penny Street. The curriculum included Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Geography, History, English grammar, composition and literature, Mathematics, Latin, one modern language, Natural Science, Political Economy, Drawing and Vocal Music.

The first headmaster of the re-founded grammar school was Alfred Jerrard who gathered around him a strong team of well-qualified and experienced teachers to meet the  need for high-class education in the expanding industrial and commercial town and its suburbs.  

Staff list 1884, Headmaster A Jerrard

1901-1929