We believe that physical activity plays an important role in every pupil’s life. Sport for all is a central part of the school’s philosophy as is the desire for every pupil to enjoy sport and achieve their own personal best.
Whilst our curriculum distinguishes between Physical Education and Games, the notion of excellence permeates throughout. Excellence is measured by improvements in pupil and team performances; rather than simply by results. The whole experience is an integral part of the school curriculum and the department is keen to react to the needs of each pupil and the aims of the School.
The expectations of the school are that the school delivers a premium sporting experience, within an atmosphere of enjoyment, endeavour and success.
We have a thriving programme for girls and boys and provide access to specialist coaching for all pupils, regardless of ability. The standard of our competitive sport is very high but we also provide a wide and varied Games programme that caters for all pupils regardless of ability.
Recent achievements include:
The Portsmouth Grammar School has once again been included in the Schools Sports Magazine Top 100 Sport Schools 2018-2019. PGS Sport was placed 70th on the list this year, having featured highly several times in the last few years (45th in 2015 and 38th in 2017), and we are extremely proud to be the only co-educational school in Hampshire to have made the top 100. This is a brilliant reward for the hard work and commitment that our pupils, and of course our staff, dedicate every week to PGS Sport.
In compiling their list School Sport Magazine give more weighting to success in a range of sports rather than single sports and those sports with more schools competing. Reaching the top 30 puts you in the top 1-3% of the country’s state or independent sporting schools while the top 100 puts you in the top 3-10%. PGS have been included this year primarily due to our success in reaching the last 16 of the NatWest Rugby U18s Cup and our third place in the National Hockey Championships.
- U16 Boys England Hockey Cup Finalists Tier 1 2018
- U14, U16, U18 Hampshire Girls’ Hockey Champions 2013, 2014, 2017
- U16 Hampshire Boys’ Hockey Champions 2017
- U18 National Hockey Cup Last 16 2015, National Plate Finalists 2016
- U18 Natwest Cup Last 16 2018
- U18 Hampshire Sevens Champions 2017
- U16 Hampshire Sevens Champions 2017, 2018
- U16 Rosslyn Park Sevens Quarter Finalists 2017
- U15 Hampshire Sevens Runners Up 2017
- U15 Hampshire Cricket Champions 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- U14 Hampshire Cricket Champions 2018
- U13 Hampshire Cricket Champions 2014, 2018
- U13 & U12 Hampshire Cricket Runners Up 2017
- U17 School Sport Magazine National Cricket Champions 2013, 2015
- U15 Lord’s Taverners’ National Cricket Champions 2011, Semi Finalists 2014
- U18 & U16 Netball Regional Finalists 2017
- U19 National Independent Schools Netball Finalists 2016
- U14, U16 Hampshire Netball Champions 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- U16 National Netball Finals 2014, U14 National Finalists 2014
- Girls Track and Field – National Finalists 2012, 2013 ; Regional Finalists 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Boys Track and Field Cup – Regional Finalists 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- U13 and U15 girls 2nd place LTA Hampshire league 2018
- U15 Mixed Team U15 Bedales Tie-break 10s winners 2018
- The Schools’ Sailing Championships, Itchenor Sailing Club – Champions 2013, 2014. 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- U14 National Mixed Rounders Champions 2017
- U15 National Rounders Champions 2012, Semi Finalists 2013, 2015, Quarter Finalists 2016
For further information regarding all aspects of sport at PGS, please read A Parents’ Guide To PGS Sport
All the latest fixtures, selection and general PGS Sport news is now available by clicking here.
Cancelled Sports Fixtures
If you are unsure whether a match or fixture has been cancelled please visit the PGS Sport website, click here.